Fascinating Facts & Fallacies:
About You and Your World
This book is designed to provide truthful, useful and surprising information, not faulty assumptions or misleading statements. You will find common fallacies and the facts that can help you make smarter personal, family and work decisions. But the book is not simply about getting better information. Sometimes it is just the experience of learning something new and surprising, things that make you say, Oh, my gosh can that be true? Yes, it is, that’s a fact!
Despite what many might think, all the following statements are false. If you doubt it, look inside the book:
- People on welfare are lazy and sit at home collecting money while the rest of us work to support them.
- Safe Sex is a more important issue to Americans than environmental issues. (it’s the opposite)
- The single biggest type of waste entering landfills is plastic ,paper or diapers (it’s food)
- The U.S. is losing is competitive edge in production of manufacturing goods. (no, we’re doing fine)The Truth is:
- Simply expecting a medicine to work will make it work, even if you know it’s a fake medicine.
- Want to make a lot of money? Surprisingly, it is better to work for someone else than work for yourself.
- Undocumented immigrants contributed more – much more – to the national treasury last year than General Electric.
- Co-workers, with a nasty disposition, do affect your life expectancy.
- Obesity can be contagious. Viruses may actually cause some obesity.
- Allergy sufferers are far less likely to contract cancer than anyone else.
- Laughter can be used to help treat diabetes, stress, heart disease and a host of other ills.So take a look inside and learn some surprising facts about the world around you.
How to Empower Employees, Unleash Innovation and Improve Decision-Making
In this work on Horizontal management, D. Keith Denton writes of the need to delay modern organizations and push responsibility and accountability for work down to the lowest levels of the organization — where the work is being performed. This book presents a new look at horizontal management.. By providing a comprehensive reorganization plan, compete with all the prerequisites, transformations and basic assumptions, the author gives the reader all that is needed to decentralize an organization. Filled with detailed success stories from varied industry leaders, the text reveals why a broad, project-oriented horizontal approach to management is fast becoming the norm for American business. Other Resources:Figure 6-1
12 principles of Quality Service:
How America’s Top Service Providers Gain a competitive Advantage
Quality Service is the result of several years of work and hundreds of hours of interviews with some of America’s top service providers. It is the story of American Airlines, Federal Express, and L.L. Bean. It is the story of both large corporations like American Express and small ones. Mostly though, it is a story of how to improve quality service.The book also shows how companies are using a variety of means to invest in customer satisfaction, and what the outcomes have been for them. There are also examples of how successful corporate service providers use attention to detail to improve their profits and customer satisfaction. Some of the things they do include knowing their business exceedingly well and approaching service with an innovative attitude. Other organizations will share with you how to use personal attention to the customer as a powerful tool.
The Toolbox for the Mind:
Finding and Implementing Creative Solutions
Toolbox for the Mind is a different kind of book. It aims to help you find innovative solutions to today’s problems using an interdisciplinary approach. The book examines how to think creatively and come up with innovative solutions through a variety of tools. These tools, principles, or guidelines are placed throughout the chapters to highlight essential aspects. Some solutions involve adopting a different perspective on a problem and how to solve it. Others ask you to approach your task in a different way. Some of these tool boxes may be familiar; others are quite unique. These tools can and have helped individuals, groups, and large organizations find novel
solutions and produce dramatic innovations.
Single Dads and Great Kids:
Using Humor and Other Successful Strategies
Questions the Book Answers
- How to handle “the talk” to your kids about your divorce.
- How to raise a great kid
- How to show them you love them
- Why you need to be the one who applies discipline
- How to better discipline your kids
- What you need to do when they are not acting great
- How to build a better relationship with your kids and stay connected
- How to be happier with yourself after the divorce
- How to change what you are doing so you don’t end up divorced again
- How to pick a better mate
- Why it is important to develop good relations with your Ex
- How to develop better relationships with your Ex
- How to deal better with your teenager
- How to deal with bullying
- How to deal with sexting
- How to find time to be a better dad
- How to better balance work and your family time
- Building better relationships with your kids when you live a long distance away
- Improve the quality of the time you with your kids when you rarely see them
Retention, Recruitment and Employee Rations:
How Innovative Organizations Do It
This condensed and updated edition of the print delivers practical and successful techniques used by some of the world’s most competitive and innovative companies to the hands of managers with human resources responsibilities. Techniques described in the book can help any company enhance its ability to recruit, retain, and improve its employee relations.Effective recruiting techniques are explained including a review of Merck’s Interview Skills workshop, Hewlett-Packard’s Behavioral Interviewing and Marriott’s recruitment programs. Effective retention techniques are also explained, including Federal Express’ Guaranteed Fair Treatment Procedure, General Electric’s Work-Out Program, Motorola’s Six Sigma program, Merck’s Flextime program and Cypress Goal Setting process. Several successful techniques for improving communication and recognition are also examined.
To Implement Strategy, Build Teamwork and Manage Change
You can use the corporate Intranet to improve strategic decision making, create effective teams and implement change.This book’s solution helps organizations, teams, departments and groups keep their focus on their true purpose, so you can implement strategies, increase teamwork and help manage change.This book provides an innovative solution that identifies, integrates and displays your critical information in real time using Intranet technology. It can help you condense all the reports received from finance, operations, marketing, and other divisions into a single interactive report that’s always up to date. Intranet used this way can help create two-way communication that allows managers and workers at all levels of the company to participate.
Handling Employee Complaints:
Human Resources Tools and Techniques
This book focuses on the issue of employee complaints to delayer modern organizations and push responsibility and accountability and had been designed for use as both a self-instruction manual and a training device to teach supervisors, managers and staff how to better manage employee complaints. It offers a variety of techniques and tools that can be used to reduce the number of complaints, better manage those complaints that remain and improve employee relations. This book presents a new look at horizontal management. By providing a comprehensive reorganization plan, compete with all the prerequisites, transformations and basic assumptions, the author gives the reader all that is needed to decentralize an organization. Filled with detailed success stories from varied industry leaders, the text reveals why a broad, project-oriented horizontal approach to management is fast becoming the norm for American business.
Other Resources: Figure 6-1
© 2012 D Keith Denton